Sunday, September 17, 2017

What the health: Part 2 - Excuses we use for not losing weight



Here are some common (and lame!) excuses that we use for not doing what is right.

(in this post I am covering the top 3 excuses)

  1. I am too busy.

You have work deadlines, sick kids and you eat what is handy, you can barely bring home takeout, and you have time for nothing else.

Our body is the only thing that we have from the time we are born till the time we die and if you are too busy to spend time to take care of it then, well, you should not be spending any time reading this post.

Everyone gets 24 hours a day, no more, no less. We all live busy lives, no one is gifted with more time!  Being busy does not imply that you are being productive - you might very well be spending time on social media and calling it being busy. I have always said this - it is never about time, it is always about priority. As they say, where there is a will there is a way.

Hone your planning, prioritization and organization skills. I have seen CEOs, VPs, and directors of companies working out every single day because living a healthy lifestyle is a priority for them. I am a proud employee of one such company.

Sticking to healthy behaviors like making time for meals and squeezing in exercise throughout the day, even when your life feels like it's going 100 miles a minute, is actually the key to long-term health. When the downfall of health starts it takes a long time to recover, your body is constantly giving you signals if there is something wrong, don’t wait for your body to give up, start a healthy lifestyle today. Don't be one of those who lose their health gaining wealth and then spend their wealth to gain health.

  1. I have kids

Even more of a good reason to start working out... ever since I remember - I have exercised. I don't really remember the time when I didn't. You know why? because I saw my parents working out every single day... till today.  So I did not know any other lifestyle, I thought this is what people do... they exercise every day like they brush their teeth every day. Set a good example for your kids. Better yet, workout as a family - ask them to join you in biking, hiking, swimming, dance, rock climbing, and whatnot.

You can not tell kids 'go and exercise' because... they are watching you! Are my parents engrossed in binge-watching TV shows all day long? or are they living an active lifestyle? As they say 'Raise yourself before you raise your kids'.

  1. I don't have time to cook.

But you have time to commute to a restaurant - order food - get the food on your table - or even food pick up from a restaurant takes at least 20 to 30 minutes of your time, isn't it? It hardly takes any time to cook if you plan well.

I have allocated a fixed amount of time that I spend on cooking each day - so even if I have a leftover from last night I still spend that allocated time on food preparation for the next day - like kneading dough, cutting vegetables or just make some supplements like soup, koshimbir, snack items, and whatnot.

Just to clarify I hate to cook but I do not use it as an excuse, there are many things one might hate but has to take care of - that is what growing up and living a healthier lifestyle is all about.

One more option is to get cooking help - whichever part of the world you live in you will be able to find cooking/cleaning help. Plan your finances accordingly - for example, spend less money on shopping material things and instead spend it on a cook/help and essentially on your own body!

Studies show that people who cook meals at home tend to eat more healthfully and weigh less than those who don't.

To be continued...




Skirt: J crew factory

Top: Old Navy

Shoes: Tommy Hilfiger

No comments:

Post a Comment